Our favorite time of year is finally here – Summer! With it comes the daily assault of taxing chlorine compounds, drying sea salt, and damaging sun rays – not to mention all of the havoc we wreck on our angel’s hair from daily styling fax pas.
Chlorine and salt water both dry, discolor, and damage hair. Chlorine binds to the hair, filling in gaps in the hair shaft. Mineral deposits in salt water make hair brassy and brittle. Both severely dehydrate hair. Imagine how these elements affect delicate, kinky/curly hair which tends to be much drier than straight hair. It is imperative that you (1) take preventative steps to avoid damaged, lifeless hair, (2) moisturize your child’s hair on a daily basis to replenish moisture lost, and (3) take the time to incorporate a quality summer hair care regime.
Here are a few summertime tips that will keep damaged, split, brittle, frizzy hair away, so you can enjoy the summer without worry.
Summer Hair Care Tips:
- Before your angel enters a pool, lake, ocean, or any body of water, drench his/her hair with water and apply a coat of conditioner to your hair. This water/conditioner mixture will fill up the gaps in your hair shaft and act as a barrier from the chlorinated water. Follow up with a little club soda; it makes for a good post-pool rinse. I recommend wearing a swim cap whenever possible. Most kids hate wearing them for many reasons, it’s comfortable, unattractive, or it never stays on. Using a cap will
- Pay special attention to the ends of his/her hair; after all, they are the oldest part of the hair. Mix a bit of a conditioner with a natural oil, apply, and comb through ends; leave in for extra protection.
- Use a quality conditioner with moisturizing ingredients to deep condition her hair on a weekly basis during the summer. Look for ingredients such as wheat germ, jojoba oil, coconut oil, silk amino acids, etc. We recommend CURLS Curly Q Coconut Dream conditioner.
- Avoid products that contain synthetic oils such as mineral and/or petrolatum oil, as they further dehydrate your hair. Also avoid products that contain drying alcohol, such as hair spray, mousse and some gels. Instead, opt for a finishing lotion. We recommend CURLS Curly Q styling lotion. It combats frizz, enhances curl formation, and leaves a soft and natural curl hold without a greasy, sticky, or hard feeling. It also replenishes damage to the hair lipid.
- If there is a time to be extra gentle with her hair, it is now. Treat her hair like a fine silk blouse. Purchase a gentle hydrating shampoo. ALWAYS follow up with a rich conditioner. Shampoo gently – massage a small amount of shampoo into scalp, rinse well. CURLS Curly Q Hydrating shampoo is a great option.
- Over-shampooing and under-conditioning is a common culprit to dry and frizzy hairâ€¦especially in the summer months. Shampooing more than 1x a week is not recommended. On her “shampoo-less” days, simply do a conditioning rinse – rinse hair to remove styling products (this is when using the right products that are water soluble come in). Apply an ample amount of CURLS Curly Q Coconut Dream conditioner, comb through, rinse, and proceed with styling. Doing so will pump much needed moisture back into her hair without stripping away essential nutrients, rinse away unnecessary dirt and oil, and give her a fresh, clean start.
For more hair care tips and CURLS product information, visit https://curls.biz/.
Questions? Feel free to E-mail Mahisha Dellinger directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.