Switching It Up: Tips for Transitioning to Natural Hair
By Tiffani Douglas
Going “natural” is no easy feat, it will not have you crooning the late-70s tune “Easy Like Sunday Morning,” and you have only two options when it comes to getting back to your naturally curly hair. The “big chop” more like a one and done, involves cutting off all your chemically treated hair (i.e. relaxed and/or color treated) down to your natural kinky hair and forgoing heat treatments like flat ironing and curling. The second option and most time and labor intensive is transitioning. Transitioning is the method that is way more time consuming and it requires a lot of patience and maintenance over time!
Transitioning is an ongoing process in which chemically treated hair is gradually trimmed off while you are growing and maintaining your natural hair. The problem with this option is that you are dealing with two different hair textures, which makes it difficult to style and in some cases to it keep healthy. Ensuring that you nail down a solid hair care regiment and use the right products is key to successful transitioning. Here are 5 tips for a smooth transition.
1. Use hair care products with all natural ingredients. When transitioning, use hair care products that grow and nourish not just your natural hair, but also the hair that you are trimming away also. Natural products like CURLS’ Cashmere + Caviar Collection restructures and restores stressed, damaged hair and grows and strengthens your natural hair. When styled, it keeps the chemically treated hair manageable and looking healthy.
2. Keep your hair and scalp clean with sulfate-free shampoos. Sulfates found in regular shampoos can strip your curly hair and scalp of its natural oils. Cashmere+Caviar Hair Bath – Activated Charcoal Shampoo does not contain sulfates, but includes cashmere and caviar extracts, which restore natural oils and conditions the hair, leaving it feeling smooth and soft.
3. Deep condition your hair. As you are transitioning, your hair is very fragile and deep conditioning treatments should be a part of your weekly or bi-weekly curly hair care routine. It’s important that you get as much nourishment to your hair shaft as possible and deep conditioning with Cashmere+Caviar Hair Masque – Deep Conditioner which contains antioxidants and vitamins to strengthen and smooth your hair also helps repair scalp damage and promote faster hair growth.
4. Keep hair your moisturized. If you do nothing else while in transition, moisturize! When your hair begins to dry out and become brittle…forget about it! All your efforts will be lost if you are not continuously moisturizing your hair. To keep your hair soft, tangle-free, and moisturized with ease try Cashmere+Caviar Hair Silk- Leave In Conditioner/Detangler.
5. Get your hair trimmed regularly. In order for your hair to grow, you must keep it trimmed often and free from dead, split ends. You should also encourage new hair growth and stay focused on keeping your curly hair strong. Cashmere+Caviar Hair Serum-Oil Based Hair Treatment contains Certified Organic Cashmere Extract and Certified Organic Caviar Extract that contains vitamins A and D + Omega 3, 6 and 9; and combined, keep hair manageable, strong and soft.
Although transitioning is no easy task, having the right products can help tremendously! Check out CURLS Cashmere + Caviar Collection and other natural hair care products to help you in your transition journey.